What is the first step?
- The first step is to contact me to arrange a consultation. This will give you the opportunity to experience the way I work. Relationships, social and work situations and past experiences including childhood will also be explored.
How much will it cost and how long is a session?
- I charge £60 per session and each session lasts for 50 minutes.
When do you work?
- I work both during the day and evenings. I do not work weekends.
How many sessions will I have?
- I offer as many sessions as appropriate. This can be from once to two, three, four or five times a week.
How will the work end?
- When the therapy has been open ended the ending will be discussed and agreed ahead so that there is time to reflect on the affects of the psychotherapeutic work and to pay attention to all the feelings that can emerge as the therapy draws to a close.
How confidential are the sessions?
- In line with BACP and WMIP professional and ethical guidelines I offer a high level of confidentiality. When I need to discuss my work with another practitioner (Supervision) for the purposes of development and evaluation I take care not to use identifying information. There are some circumstances for instance; if I became seriously concerned about your safety or that of another person. Wherever possible this would be in consultation with you and with your consent.
How can individuals distinguish the right ‘talking therapy’?
- Individuals who seek a ‘talking’ therapy can initially be met with large amounts of therapeutic jargon that can confuse the person, ‘medicalise’ their symptoms, and create unnecessary complications and differences. The most effective ‘talking therapies’ are those where there is a good working relationship between the client and the therapist. So, the short answer is find someone who you feel good working with that may be the right therapist for you!
What is the difference between counselling and psychotherapy?
- There is no clear cut answer to this question. Broadly, counselling is concerned with finding solutions to particular, current difficulties whilst psychotherapy works at a deeper level with patterns of thought and behaviour that may have been established many years ago. Again, we can review your specific needs as we go.
Please contact me for further clarification on any of these points and with any other questions you may have.